I Hate Running

      "I hate running", That's what I always said. It was immutable fact. Every time I ever went on a run, it was nothing but a series of painful events, leading to more painful events. I think a lot of people hate running for the same reason I hated it. But I'm here to tell you that after getting proper advice, and a physical reality check, I don't hate running anymore.

         I got this idea that when you run, you need to run. That walking isn't allowed on a run. Some of my earliest memories of suffering through runs are from Elementary school, where once a week when the weather was nice, we were all forced to run a mile around the school grounds, 3 times around a triangle in a field. They would hound us for walking, and that was my introduction to running. My dad trained for marathons and on one occasion we went on a small jog and I ran till I almost hurled, lungs screaming in agony. I even tried to get myself to run a few times and it just hurt. Aside from running for sports, which I didn't do much of, or if I did, it was in a full sprint, I wouldn't run. Every time I had run just to run, it had been abject misery. 


      Midwinter of this year I hit the highest weight I had ever hit. 230. After a year of chronic respiratory issues, and general sloth, as well as smoking way too much (wow, wonder why my lungs are screwed... duh), which I quit doing because I was having consistent issues breathing involving mucus in my throat, I was in rough shape. I also had chronic heartburn contributing to the issue and my body is still learning that I don't need to drown in mucus after eating anymore. Anyway. Enough gross health issues.

       I'm a semi-active person, usually getting rather fit in spurts, only to swing back into sloth, putting weight back on that I work hard to lose. I've probably lost 200lbs over the years, but I've put that all back on. And that's where I was in early February. Heavier than I'd ever been. I went to Colorado, where I've visited a number of times, though this time, even Denver gave me a bit of trouble. My lungs were not cutting it, even at 5200ft, and that was spooky to me. So I got back, and started hitting the gym, but I was only making it once or twice a week at best. The drive alone was 30-40 more minutes out of a day where I spent 120+ in a car and busses already. I made excuses not to go because of that. Fact is, I hate working out for the sole purpose of working out. I wanna go somewhere, do -something-, or enable a future goal. 

        One day, in late February, basically out of nowhere, I had the urge to run. It was nothing I'd wanted to do before, not once in my 29 years on this earth, but as I walked to my bus I thought to myself... it's only 16 miles home. "I could run this, or run and walk this, at least. Absolutely. But I need to work up to it. I should try running again."

       I went home, strapped on some shoes (mercifully I already owned heavy trail runners that I'd bought for day hiking a few months prior), and I went to run a loop around my neighborhood. It wasn't long before I was hacking up mucus in huge loogies and going delirious with borderline hypoxia as I pushed way too hard for my lack of fitness, even with walking. But I made it, I felt good, as good as one can while drowning in their own fluids (even with an inhaler). 

       So, the next week I decided to do it again....and again... and again. And I haven't stopped yet! And now I have people trying to get me to run a half marathon 6 weeks from now.

      It's still early for me. A little less than a month later and I just ran (and walked a bit) my first 10K+ distance. Aside from a little muscle fatigue, as expected, it went well. I wasn't coughing and choking on mucus the entire time, I wasn't dying, hell, I even caught myself having fun. I was OK, and it was a beautiful day, sun shining, and warm temps of the like I haven't seen in almost 6 months. I'm down about 5-7 lbs from my highest ever weight too. I can breathe relatively well for the first time in ages. And frankly, I have running to thank. I don't need to hit the gym to do it, I don't need to spend time fucking with bike parts breaking, tires deflating, and the many issues cycling always has. I have no excuse not to go do it. And my mind is always looking for excuses to get out of exercise, so it's good not to really have one.

       Running is still tough. I still walk a little on my laps, I still take it easy. I'm not breaking 10 minute miles just yet, unless they have a good downhill, even on my 5k runs, but I'm close. But it doesn't suck, and I don't hate it. It just took a few runs, learning the right technique, and using the right shoes, which I frankly lucked out on, to get going. (my old brooks shoes I bought as 'camp shoes' always left my ankles absolutely destroyed.)

        I'm still ~40lbs overweight, but not 50lbs. My knees are older than they should be (27 years of skiing is bad for your knees), but have been holding up, so long as I keep my running form together. 
But if I can do this, anyone of able body can. On your first run, you'll probably walk just as much if not more than you run. I would honestly encourage people to just go for a 3 mile walk, and try to run when you can. Keep your heart rate up, but don't go so hard you want to die within 1/4 mile. Jog easy, walk, rest, repeat, and keep at it. Don't be mad if you get tired. Work hard. Push yourself. Your motivation will die in comparison, so take your ego out of it, & screw what other people think about you doing what's right for you. (example: I'm no Gary Robins or Jim Walmsley, and if I compare myself to them, I fell like a useless noodle who may as well be sleeping on a couch.) You will get tired, your body will probably ache, but you will survive. The human body was designed to run, it's what we were meant to do. It's one of our most primal actions, and one that I think everyone should try to incorporate into their workout routines, even if you're not looking to run all the time. If you have awesome trails near home to run, I definitely recommend getting out in nature too. Step of the pavement when you can. 


        Modern life makes it seem like running is this nutso thing, but it is far from it. Of all the physical actives we were meant to do, it is one of the most intrinsic to the human animal. There is something deeply primal about it, something nested in our long evolutionary history that should not be stripped away because we have bikes, busses, and cars. It definitely feels like something to reclaim. But then again. Maybe I've overthinking this whole running thing and I should just shut up and put one foot in front of the other.

       Most importantly: I don't hate running anymore. It took me 29 years, but I don't hate it now. There are even times, dare I say, that I enjoy it. Let's hope these legs carry me along for miles to come. 

Comments

Popular Posts