Progress

        This is going to be a short post, but I am excited. Writing about the Honeymoon period coming to it's inevitable end helped soften the blow when it did, and kept me from demotivating myself. I am not -enamoured- with running, if I am going to be honest, but I like it well enough to keep doing it. At times I love it, at times I hate it. Yesterday was a mix of both, but I felt phenomenal at points during, and definitely after my run.  I am going to dial things back a touch this week. I have been pushing hard and my left ankle is finally giving me issues. My left shin was mad last night right off the bat, and didn't calm down for almost a mile. I may just run easy in lieu of that, but still go for some distance. I want to hit my 15 miles this week bare minimum. But that's beside the point. I did want to celebrate my progress up to this point, instead of writing another long post about worrying about losing interest.

        When I started, I was running the ~3.8 mile loop around my house in 43 minutes. And by running, I mean walking, jogging, and maybe getting into a runner's pace. At 11:36 / mile on average, it was slow. But I kept at it, and yesterday I cut almost 12 minutes off my original time, ran it 2+ minutes per mile faster (9:32/ mile avg). I feel stronger today than I think I have in years. My ankle hurts a bit, but I'm going to keep stretching it and drinking water, because I want to get in a good run tonight, as rain is threatening later in the week. The more dry miles I can manage, the better. Over the weekend I put down 7 miles, which is -great-. I want to go further most weekends, though I may drop things back this week a bit, then go for 9 miles next weekend.... maybe I'll even start getting into a half-marathon distance, which is so well and beyond what I ever thought I would run, it isn't even funny. The progress feels good. The runner's highs are getting better... I'm optimistic. The only real key is keeping at it, and maintaining longevity in the activity. I'm only a month in, and really, this is only the first step in a race I hope never ends, world willing.

Comments

Popular Posts